Area Director Role Explained
I ran into a work colleague, Amy Clapp, ACB, ALB, North 43 Area Director, 2017-2018 – District 30 and asked her if she could explain her role so I could better understand what that might entail when I needed to work at the district level.
Please give me a rundown of the job duties and expectations of what an Area Director *has* to do plus any other expectations?
- Club visits – two club visits per year per club. I have 6 clubs in my area. I did the first 6 visits in July/Aug (there was an incentive to get them in before. Aug. 31 but technically you have until 11/30/17). The second 6 visits will start 1/1. Expectation – visit clubs more often if possible.
- Once a month attend DEC meeting (District executive council) – currently these are the 2nd Saturday of the month. The first several were in person, these next 4 or so are virtual. You are allowed to miss up to two of these.
- Hold/plan the two contests per year. Expectation – go and help out at the other areas in your division and the division contest. This was a lot but actually very fun to see all the contests and meet a bunch of people.
- Hold two area council meetings (conference call with club president, vpe, vpm). I had my first and only 3 presidents called in.
- Keep clubs informed of district happenings.
This were some of the duties that Amy provided. She assured me there were others, but felt these were some of the main responsibilities.
If you’re interested in finding out more, you can always touch base with a club member who is a DTM. They have all been involved with this type of work.